Sunday, October 10, 2010

New York Comic-Con and New York Anime Festival - DAY TWO!

Day Two of NYCC and NYAF came to a close last night...and I'm still exhausted from it 7+ hours later. Unfortunately, no pics again due to me leaving my camera at home while leaving in a rush...only to miss Uncle Yo's performance due to a stalled Q train in Brooklyn.

Anyway, not much to discuss here due to the HUGE crowd yesterday, which made foot traffic slow down to a crawl. I wanted to check out the New York Jedi show and Yoshiki (X Japan) and Stan Lee's announcement, but due to personal matters, and the LOOOONG lines on the latter event, I couldn't attend. However, I was able to resolve the issues and watch Minori Chihara's concert, which led to the Cosplay Masquerade.

Miss Chihara's concert was short, but sweet. She performed 7 songs, 5 of which would be familiar to anime fans, the other two being her original works. After every two songs, she talked to the audience (in English nontheless), which was cute. Once she performed her last song, the audience broke into an uproar, only because of the song...which was "Hare Hare Yukai", the ending from the original 2006 airing of "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya."

The Cosplay Masquerade was hosted once again by Uncle Yo. This year introduced a new format, where walk-ons were presented alongside the skits usually presented. Amongst other skits were a pair dressed as Zelda and Ganondorf (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess) performing a skit questioning why girls can't dress up as male characters. Which led to me thinking "Why can't guys dress up as female characters?" after recalling a guy dressed up as Haruhi Suzumiya earlier in the day. Another skit I loved was Break-dancing Mario. Mario's music consisted of Mario sound effects mixed with a Jay-Z song (whose title escapes me). I actually saw him earlier on stage near the NYAF Artists' Alley and I thought he was f***ing awesome.

With the Masquerade running past 11, I left the Javits Center exhausted, and the Tendercrisp sandwich from Burger King didn't help matters. Check back later today or tomorrow for details of the final day of NYCC and NYAF.

No comments: